Due Date: Tuesday January 17th
- Read: p.185-189 three times closely
- Do: Write (in your own words, of course)
a short (1-2 page), complete, concise, thorough description
of your calculation of the homology groups for each of the following spaces.
Your goal should be to convince me that you have absorbed and retained
the major parts of the previous course. Be sure to name and highlight
all of the key facts you are using along the way.
Due Date: Tuesday January 24th
- Start with a solid 3-cube centered at the origin and remove the
union of the three coordinate axes.
- The universal cover of the space obtained by attaching the
boundary of a 2-cell to a circle by a map that wraps around the
circle n times, n at least 2.
- The n-sphere, Sn
- Complex projective space, CPn (Extra credit)
Due Date: Tuesday January 31st
- Read: p.190-197 (Universal Coefficient Theorem)
- Do: The exercise on p.193, plus Exercises 1 and 2 on p.204
Due Date: Tuesday February 7th
- Read: p.197-204 (Cohomology of spaces)
- Do: Exercises 5,6, and 8 on p.205.
Due Date: Thursday February 23rd
- Read: p. 206-213 (Cup product)
- Do: Exercises 1,3, and 4 on p.228-9.
Due Date: Thursday March 8th
- Read: p. 214-219 (Kunneth Formula)
- Do: Exercises 6,7,9, and 11 on p.229.
- Read: p. 230-239 (Orientations and Homology)
- Do: Exercises 3,4,5,7 on p.257-258
That was the last homework assignment