Department of Mathematics
University of California, Santa Barbara
552 University Rd, Isla Vista, CA 93117
I am a tenure-track assistant professor at Department of Mathematics. Before joining UCSB, I was a member of Prof. Mauro Maggioni's research group and worked as assistant research professor at Johns Hopkins University. Here is my CV.
I am interested in solving problems in the mathematical foundations of Data Science. My current research projects are motivated by the need to exploit dynamical data sets in complex physical systems to perform inference with provable performance and build generalizable and interpretable predictive models, where I used and developed techniques from Statistical/Machine Learning, Harmonic Analysis, Approximation Theory, and Probability. My research can be categorized to the following two areas:
- Mathematical foundation of learning theory: statistical learning theory, statistical inference for ODEs,SDEs and PDEs from time-series data, high dimensional data analysis
- Applied and computational harmonic Analysis: functional analysis, Fourier analysis, approximation theory, sampling and frame theory, inverse problem in mathematical/statistical signal processing
I am spending part of Fall 2021 as a visiting scientist at Simons Institute for the Theory of computing, and will be participating in the program Geometric Methods in Optimization and Sampling".
Here is my talk
at Simons intsitute workshop about my recent work in stocastic systems of interacting particles.
- Math 260H: Seminar in mathematical foundation of data science
- Math 104A: Numerical Analysis
Graduate and Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I am looking for highly self-motivated graduate students and senior undergraduate students to work on projects generally related to machine learning, dynamical system, signal processing, and data analysis. Please email me your CV (including projects you have done), transcript (if applicable) if you are interested.
Grants and Awards
- Hellman Faculty Fellows 2022-2023
- NSF DMS-2111303, 2021-2024
- Simons Collobration Grant for Mathematitians, declined due to the NSF award
- Early Career Faculty Acceleration Grant, 2021
- Regents Junior Faculty Fellowship, 2021
- Best Overall Award in the poster competition of Second International Conference on Mathematics of Data Science, 2018
- AMS-Simons Travel grant, 2017-2020